RaceRocks 3D has an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial spirited team member in Vancouver, BC Canada. The Data Engineer will work for government and aerospace client, and will be embedded in the Boeing Vancouver office.
The successful candidate must be willing to undergo a security assessment for the Canadian Controlled Goods Program and Industrial Security Program.
The Data Engineer role is primarily intended to apply aviation domain knowledge and various visual and quantitative modeling techniques and analytical methods to business problems within the aviation industry. The Data Engineer also works directly with clients to scope business problems and communicate the business case for using analytics to enable better decision-making in a business environment. As a member of the Analytics group, this position involves working closely with business partners, team members and the broader Boeing as a whole; the Data Engineer plays a role in discovering and driving forward opportunities for the Analytics team as part of Boeing Vancouver Labs. The Data Engineer role has three key focus areas: 1) execute in the application of analytical methods to address business problems in algorithm development and data product creation 2) acquire, grow and apply knowledge in aviation domain, analytics and professional business conduct 3) manage stakeholders effectively and support business development initiatives. The Data Engineer role reports directly to the Analytics Management layer. The Analytics group as a whole reports to Director, Advanced Analytics.
Application of analytical methods to business problems
- Develop an understanding of client’s business problem and business context. Participate in the definition of analytical problems that will address client’s business problems. Participate in the development of business case for solving a problem.
- Lead a work stream of a project or a small project of 1-2 FTEs on his/her own.
- Responsible for the execution of the end-to-end pipeline of an analytics project:
- problem definition
- data gathering, cleaning and preparation
- choosing the best fit methodology, modelling and analysis – especially familiar with Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing methods
- validation and verification of models and analysis
- visualization and storytelling of results
- recommendation presentation
- feedback gathering and analysis improvement
- documentation and prompt reporting
- most importantly, all round good analytically-minded critical thinker who can navigate and translate business needs into analytical solutions
- Participate in the productization of analytical models into data products:
- Productionize existing Python data science models and integrate with new application
- Deploy to Microsoft Azure as a microservice, consuming data from queues and external API’s
- Deployed as a Flask project
- Collaborate with DBA to maintain data models as requirements develop
- Collaborate with other Data Scientists to streamline data science build pipeline (manage code, data, and trained models…)
- Familiar with DevOps and Agile principles for way of working
- As necessary, interface with Product Development roles (Product Management, Product Owner, Scrum Master, Architect, Software Developer, Quality Assurance, and others) to support the deployment of model/tool into client application or operations.
- Collaborate with other team members in a highly team-work oriented setting.
Operate consistently with established Analytics group technical, project management, and quality best practices.
Continuous growth and application of aviation domain knowledge, analytics expertise and professional conduct:
- Self-driven to continuously improve own and team’s level of expertise in the aviation domain, analytical methods and tools, and professional business conduct (e.g., communications, effective meeting management, stakeholder management, project management, etc.).
- Build on existing domain knowledge to gain better understanding of aviation business problems, user needs, and practical criteria to ensure that proposed solutions are practical and achieve business value.
- Continuously learn and develop analytical knowledge to stay with advancement in the industry.
Contribute to team growth and development through the sharing of knowledge with colleagues, for example, by conducting learning activities driven by his/her own initiatives, staying in coordination with other team initiatives, conducting trip and conference report outs, etc.
- D. in Operations Research, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Physics or similar educational specialization, plus typically 1-2 years of relevant work experience;
- Master’s Degree in Operations Research, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Physics or similar educational specialization, plus typically 3+ years relevant work experience
- Equivalent combination of education and experience
- Domain knowledge in the aviation industry is preferred.
- Applied knowledge and/or proficiency with 3 or more of the following:
- Statistics, Forecasting, Time-series Analysis
- Data-mining, Machine-learning
- Mathematical Optimization
- Data Management
- Proficiency with big data analysis technologies (e.g., Hadoop, Spark, Cassandra, Pig, Hive, etc.)
Other Analytics sub-disciplines and methodologies
- All candidates must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.
- All candidates must be willing to undergo a security assessment for the Canadian Controlled Goods Program
If this opportunity interests you, please send your resume and portfolio to Yuki Izawa: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.