Who Are You?
You believe learning should be fun and engaging, and you see how technology can elevate learning impact. You are a strong team player who thrives in collaborative environments and is comfortable expressing your creativity while also valuing the input of others. You enjoy working through uncertainties and have developed excellent communication skills to engage with SMEs, your teammates, and project stakeholders.
Your knowledge of the development of learning content will be essential in creating impactful lessons that meet the needs of our clients and learners. You excel at taking complex ideas and making them accessible.
Your past experience and training have helped you grow to be a confident designer who enjoys using eLearning authoring tools and other relevant technologies to engage learners. As a result, you’re enthusiastic about staying up to date with emerging trends and tools in the learning industry. You feel capable and excited to work with the qualifications and skills outlined here, although you don’t need to have expertise in all areas.
What’s the Job?
To support our growing team, RaceRocks is seeking a self-starting and creative Intermediate Learning Designer. In this role, you will have the opportunity to collaborate on design and development of immersive, decision-driven training systems. In our flexible, remote workplace, you will create under the guidance of our Lead Learning Designer and a Project Lead, and you will collaborate with a team including Learning Designers, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), Developers, and Artists.
You will be the learner’s advocate. Applying your instructional design skills and learning technology expertise, you will work directly with clients from needs analysis to deployment to design, build, and test engaging learning experiences using tools such as Office 365, Google Suite, Slack, Jira, and Articulate. Learning solutions that you may help bring to our clients to solve their training issues include:
- Updating curriculum to address gaps and to effectively reach new audiences or goals for our defense and aerospace clients
- Transferring face-to-face training to a blended model by leading the design of new programs, distributed learning courseware, LMS course architecture and reporting, and onboarding programs
- Integrating a task trainer or simulator into existing programs (designed in collaboration with our developers and artists) to build confidence, develop skills, or address skill fade
- Evaluating the success of a learning product by utilizing available technologies and developing user testing or piloting strategies
What will you do?
- Use your strong communication skills to work with a Project Lead and SMEs to identify training needs and develop training plans:
- Identify and evaluate resources for developing learning materials
- Suggest the best media and technologies to meet training needs (in collaboration with Artists and Learning Technologies Specialists)
- Apply your Learning Design expertise to produce deliverables depending on the project scope and timeline:
- Break down complex information into an engaging and easy-to-understand format
- Create lesson plans or storyboards for media-rich eLearning courses, task trainers, simulators, and serious games according to instructional design principles and in collaboration with Artists and Developers
- Build and publish content using eLearning software (Articulate Storyline and Adobe Captivate are an asset)
- Examine, review, and correct content for accuracy, consistency, and accessible learner experience
- Test Distributed Learning packages in an LMS and assess the effectiveness
- Work with other Learning Designers to grow and enhance your discipline expertise.
Qualifications / Skills:
- A minimum of 3 years in instructional design including experience in eLearning (Articulate Storyline, Adobe Captivate and work with Learning Management Systems, SCORM, and/or xAPI an asset)
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma (preferably in a related field)
- Extended health benefits including dental, life insurance, vision care, and mental wellness program
- Optional bi-weekly team social hosted by the Culture Committee
- Professional development program
- Flexible work hours
- 3 weeks vacation to start
- 5 paid sick days
- Work from home stipend
- 13 stat holiday
- All candidates must be able to pass security assessments as required by Public Services and Procurement Canada.
RaceRocks is a remote-first company with team members across Canada, with an office for optional use in Victoria, BC. Team members are required to be available for team building and collaboration during core operating hours of 9:00 am to 2:00 pm Pacific Time. Outside of core working hours, we offer flexibility to support work-life balance. Although our HQ is in Victoria, BC, we are open to hiring candidates from nearly anywhere in Canada. At this time, we do not have the infrastructure to support hiring candidates from Quebec or to hire/support working internationally.
We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, Black peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, any qualified person of legal working age, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities.
Should you require any accommodation, please inform us, and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, please contact us at email@example.com
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.