Who Are You?
You believe learning should be fun and engaging, and you see how technology can elevate learning impact. You excel at taking complex ideas and making them accessible. You have a knack for outlining learning objectives and proposing solutions to help learners optimize performance. True satisfaction for you is finding a creative solution to solve a puzzle. Most of all, you can’t wait to take the lead, gathering skilled and developing designers, clients, and other project stakeholders and boldly pushing a learning solution to become a reality.
In this project lead position, you bring integrity and clear communication to everything you do. Collaboration is your jam. You value the different perspectives on your team and thrive in an open and diverse environment. Listening and guiding to craft a vision and rallying a team behind it brings you joy.
You have an “honesty over perfection” mentality; you can own your mistakes, strengths, and struggles, and you help build an environment where others feel safe to do the same. When faced with the uncertainty of new clients or projects (unclear project requirements, changing processes or stakeholders, new tools, etc.) you thrive on helping create a platform for successful teamwork to happen.
Your past experience and training have helped you grow to be a confident designer when working with learning technologies and a confident project lead. As a result, you’re enthusiastic about staying up to date with emerging trends and tools in the learning industry. You feel capable and excited to work with the qualifications and skills outlined here, although you don’t need to have expertise in all areas.
What’s the Job?
This is a one-year fixed-term contract to cover a parental leave. There is a possibility to extend dependent on the needs of the team and our projected growth.
RaceRocks is seeking a collaborative, energetic, and creative Senior Learning Designer – Project Lead. In this role, you will have the opportunity to lead the design and development of immersive, decision-driven training systems for our defence and aerospace clients. You will hold the project vision while collaborating with our talented team, including Learning Designers, Project Managers, Developers, and Artists.
In our flexible, remote workplace, and under the guidance of our Lead Learning Designer, you will apply and develop your instructional design, learning technology, people leadership, and organizational skills to work directly with clients, from needs analysis to Learning Management System (LMS) deployment. As the client and learner’s advocate, you will drive the design, development, and testing of engaging learning experiences using tools such as Office 365, Google Suite, Slack, Jira, Captivate, and Articulate.
Learning solutions that you may bring to our clients to solve their training issues include:
- Updating curriculum to address gaps or reach new audiences or goals more effectively
- Transferring face-to-face training to a blended model by leading the design of new programs, distributed learning courseware, LMS course architecture, reporting, and onboarding programs
- Integrating a task trainer or simulator into existing programs (designed and built in collaboration with our Developers and Artists) to build confidence, develop skills, or address skill fade
- Evaluating the success of a learning product by utilizing available technologies and developing user testing or piloting strategies
What will you do?
- Communicate effectively to collaborate through uncertainties and lead clients/teams to clarity around a learning solution
- Lead cross-discipline teams of Learning Designers, Artists, and Developers to a quality final product
- Conduct in-depth quality assurance reviews of lesson plans and coach learning designers to meet quality standards
- Leverage sometimes limited exposure to subject matter experts and a variety of reference documentation to define learners, assess training/media needs and produce training plans
- Develop or oversee the development of course material for distributed learning (Articulate Storyline and Adobe Captivate are an asset)
- Generate reports from a Learning Management System or Learning Records Store from SCORM and/or xAPI content
- Motivate self and others to discover innovative and creative training solutions
- Perform Quality Assurance reviews for all disciplines and provide feedback and support in aligning the final product with the training needs
- Provide leadership and mentorship to Learning Design team members.
- Work closely with a Project Manager to create process and requirement documentation, and to continuously prioritize, mitigate risks, and adjust expectations to maintain a cohesive vision throughout the project
- Work with other Learning Designers and your lead to grow and enhance your discipline expertise
Qualifications / Skills:
- A minimum of 5 years experience in instructional design with at least 2 years in a project lead or managerial role
- Proficiency in eLearning authoring tools and designing rich media solutions (experience with Articulate Storyline and Adobe Captivate an asset)
- Demonstrated expertise in designing complex and innovative learning solutions
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Education, or related field (Master’s preferred)
- Extended health benefits including dental, life insurance, vision care, and mental wellness program
- Optional bi-weekly team social hosted by the Culture Committee
- Professional development program
- Flexible work hours
- 3 weeks vacation to start
- 5 paid sick days
- Work from home stipend
- 13 stat holiday
- All candidates must be able to pass security assessments as required by Public Services and Procurement Canada.
RaceRocks is a remote-first company with team members across Canada, with an office for optional use in Victoria, BC. Team members are required to be available for team building and collaboration during core operating hours of 9:00 am to 2:00 pm Pacific Time. Outside of core working hours, we offer flexibility to support work-life balance. Although our HQ is in Victoria, BC, we are open to hiring candidates from nearly anywhere in Canada. At this time, we do not have the infrastructure to support hiring candidates from Quebec or to hire/support working internationally.
We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, Black peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, any qualified person of legal working age, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities.
Should you require any accommodation, please inform us, and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs. For any accessibility-related assistance, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.